Creamy organic English cheddar and crispy bacon come together in a delicious low carb faux mac and cheese dish. Who needs noodles when you’ve got cauliflower?
Recipe from All Day I Dream About Food
- Prep: 10 m
- Cook: 50 m
- Total: 1 h
- Servings: 6
- 1 head cauliflower
- 6 slices bacon chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 5 oz cheddar (good English Cheddar) grated
- 1/2 tsp xanthan gum
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/4 cup green onion sliced
- Cut cauliflower into florets and place into a large pot with about 1 inch of water in the bottom. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and steam until it can be pierced with a fork but isn't mushy, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Drain well, then return to the warm pot for a few minutes to draw out more moisture. Drain again.
- Meanwhile, add bacon to the pot and cook over medium heat until crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on a paper towel-lined plate. Remove all but 2 tbsp of bacon grease from the pot and return to heat.
- Add garlic and sauté until fragrant, about 30 seconds, then add whipping cream and bring to just a simmer. Add the cheddar and stir until melted.
- Remove from heat and quickly whisk in xanthan gum to combine. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Using your fingers, shred cauliflower into small macaroni-sized pieces and place in the bottom of a casserole dish or a cast iron skillet. Sprinkle with bacon. Pour cheese sauce evenly over the cauliflower and top with additional grated cheese, if desired.
- Bake until bubbly and browned on top, 15 to 20 minutes. Sprinkle with green onions and serve.