Briny capers add a savory note while lemon slices offer a tangy brightness to the buttery lush and creamier version of this humble classic. If you don’t have easy access to thin chicken breasts, use 1 (12-oz) boneless, skinless chicken breast, then slice it in half horizontally to make 2 pieces.
Recipe from Keto-Mojo
- Prep: 10 m
- Cook: 15 m
- Total: 25 m
- Servings: 2
- 2 chicken breasts (6 oz), thin boneless skinless
- salt kosher
- pepper freshly ground
- 1/2 lemon sliced into very thin rounds
- 6 oz broccoli florets (about 2 heaping cups)
- 3 tbsp butter unsalted or olive or avocado oil
- 1 tbsp capers rinsed
- 3 tbsp heavy cream or coconut cream
- 1 tbsp parsley chopped (optional)
- Place a large piece of plastic wrap on a cutting board. Put one chicken breast onto one half of the plastic wrap and fold the other half over it. Pound the chicken breast with a meat pounder or small sauté pan to create an even 1/4-inch thickness. Repeat with second chicken breast. Season both with 3/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper and set aside.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the olive oil, then add the chicken cutlets and the lemon slices in one layer. Cook until a nice sear develops on the chicken breasts, about 3 minutes. Flip the chicken and lemon slices and cook the other side, about 3 minutes more. Transfer the chicken and lemon slices to a clean plate, reserving the skillet and its juices.
- Meanwhile, heat a medium saucepan with an inch of water and 1 teaspoon salt over medium-high heat. Add the broccoli, cover with tight-fitting lid and let steam until tender crisp, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Return the skillet to medium-high heat and deglaze the pan with 1/4 cup water, stirring to scrape up any brown bits on the bottom of the pan. Add the butter and capers, then swirl to melt the butter and create an emulsified sauce. Stir in the cream, then add the chicken and any collected juices. Add the lemon slices and broccoli, and toss to combine all of the components.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper, sprinkle with parsley, and serve.