A quick sear of cabbage, a tuck in the oven with some broth, a bit of seasoning, and a luscious cream sauce result in a fantastic dish that’s been known to induce table slapping and OMGs. Eat it on its own or pair it with roasted chicken or fish.
Recipe from Keto-Mojo
- Prep: 5 m
- Cook: 50 m
- Total: 55 m
- Servings: 6
- 1/4 cup olive oil divided
- 1 head green cabbage cut into 6 equal wedges, keeping core intact
- 1 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1 shallot finely minced
- 2 tbsp stone-ground mustard
- 2/3 cup heavy cream
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Place a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add 2 tablespoons of the oil.
- When shimmering hot, add half of the cabbage wedges, cut-side down.
- Sear until the side touching the pan is golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes. Flip and repeat on the other cut side. Transfer to a large, shallow baking dish.
- Repeat with the remaining oil and cabbage wedges. Season with 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper.
- Return the skillet to medium-high. Add the broth, thyme, and garlic powder. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Pour the seasoned broth from the skillet over the seared cabbage in the baking dish, cover with aluminum foil, and bake until the cabbage core is fork-tender, about 30 minutes. Remove the cabbage wedges to a platter, cover loosely with foil to keep warm, then reserve the braising liquid in a bowl.
- Using the same skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the shallot and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened and a bit golden, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in the reserved braising liquid, bring to a boil over high heat, and let the liquid reduce by about half, stirring and scraping often, 4 to 5 minutes. Turn the heat to medium/medium-high, stir in the mustard and the heavy cream and let simmer, stirring often, until the sauce reduces by half, 4 to 5 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Pour the sauce over the cabbage wedges and serve.