Evoke childhood memories of creamy, comforting tomato soup with a side of grilled cheese with this keto version, which replaces the carb-heavy sandwich with oven-baked crackers made of shredded cheddar.
Recipe from Keto-Mojo
- Prep: 15 m
- Cook: 30 m
- Total: 45 m
- Servings: 4
- 28 oz whole plum tomatoes canned
- 1 tsp basil leaves, dried
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tbsp granulated erythritol-based sweetener
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 4 oz grated cheddar cheese or plant-based "cheese"
- Place an oven rack in an upper position in the oven and preheat the oven to 425°F (220°C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium pot, combine the canned tomatoes, basil, onion powder, garlic powder, and 1-1/2 cups water, 1-1/2 teaspoons salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, then lower to a simmer for 5 minutes, remove the pot from the heat and let it cool for 5 minutes.
- Carefully transfer the tomato mixture to a blender. Add the butter and cream cheese and blend the soup to a fine texture. Return the blended soup to the pot and warm it over low heat for 10 minutes. Stir in the sweetener, and apple cider vinegar.
- Meanwhile, make the “grilled cheese”: On the prepared baking sheet, divide the cheese into 12 even little piles. Bake until melted in the middle and crispy at the edges, 5 to 7 minutes. Using a spatula, immediately transfer the crackers to a plate to cool.
- To serve, divide the soup between 4 bowls and serve each with 3 “grilled cheese” crackers.