Rich, delicious, pork carnitas come together quickly, thanks to Instant Pot. Crisping it up in a skillet adds an additional layer of flavor and texture. Here it’s served on grab-and-eat butter lettuce “wrappers” with crunchy radish garnish. If you want even more punch, add your favorite hot sauce or pico de gallo. Need to up your fat intake? Add sour cream, avocado, or both, recalculating the macros accordingly.
Recipe from Keto-Mojo
- Prep: 15 m
- Cook: 55 m
- Total: 1 h 10 m
- Servings: 4
For the Carnitas
- 3 lb pork shoulder boneless, cut into 4 equal chunks
- 2 tbsp brown granulated erythritol sweetener
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp garlic powder
For the Tacos
- 16 butter lettuce leaves (2 heads)
- 4 radishes sliced thin
- hot sauce
- Trim and discard any large pieces of fat from the pork. Cut the pork into 2-1/2-inch pieces. Season with 2 teaspoons salt and refrigerate for at least 2 hours and up to 24 hours.
- Place pork, sweetener, tomato paste, cumin, oregano, garlic powder, and 1 teaspoon salt in Instant Pot. Toss everything together until well combined. Seal lid and cook on high pressure for 45 minutes.
- Release the pressure manually. Shred the pork with two forks.
- Working in batches, transfer shredded pork and liquid to a large nonstick skillet set over medium-high heat and cook, undisturbed, until underside is well browned, 5 to 6 minutes. Toss and continue cooking, tossing occasionally, until edges are crispy and caramelized, 5 to 6 minutes longer.
- Transfer each batch to a casserole dish. Cover with foil to keep warm and moist.
- To serve, transfer the meat to a large platter or individual plates. Serve with the lettuce leaves, radishes, and hot sauce on the side, if desired.