This sensational Italian soup is simple to prepare, light, satisfying, and loaded with tasty beef meatballs and savory spinach. It’s also easy to customize: Make the meatballs using pork, turkey, or a combination. Swap in other greens, such as kale, Swiss chard, or escarole, for some variety.
Recipe from Keto-Mojo
- Prep: 10 m
- Cook: 25 m
- Total: 35 m
- Servings: 4
- 2 tbsp olive oil divided
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 lb ground beef (85% lean)
- 3/4 cup parmesan cheese grated, divided
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 large egg beaten
- 1/4 cup parsley minced fresh (or 2 tbsp dried)
- 1 tbsp shallot finely minced
- 1 clove garlic grated or crushed
- 16 oz baby spinach roughly chopped
- Position an oven rack in the center of the oven. Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil, then grease it with 1 teaspoon of the olive oil.
- Pour the chicken broth into a large pot and bring it to a mellow simmer.
- In a medium bowl, break up the beef into small chunks. Add 1/2 cup of the Parmesan cheese and the heavy cream, egg, parsley, shallot, garlic, 1 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 3/4 teaspoon pepper. With clean hands or a wooden spoon, gently mix until just combined; do not over-mix.
- Lightly oil your hands with 1 teaspoon of the olive oil, then make 24 small round meatballs and place them on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake the meatballs until they’re golden brown, turning halfway through cooking, 15 to 18 minutes total.
- Add the meatballs to the chicken broth and simmer on low, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the chopped spinach until it’s wilted. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Divide the soup among 4 bowls. Drizzle each serving with 1 teaspoon of the olive oil and 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese.