Bean-free keto chili made with braised beef short ribs. So easy to make and the perfect low carb comfort food. This keto chili recipe is paleo, dairy-free, and Whole 30 approved! And it can be made ahead and frozen so it’s ideal for keto meal planning.
Recipe from All Day I Dream About Food
- Prep: 15 m
- Cook: 3 h 25 m
- Total: 3 h 40 m
- Servings: 10
- 3 lb short ribs bone-in
- 1/4 cup bacon fat , lard , or other high-heat oil
- 1/2 cup onion chopped
- 1 large green pepper chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 medium jalapeno pepper minced (leave the seeds in for more heat)
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp cayenne
- 15 oz fire roasted tomatoes (1 can)
- 1/3 cup beef broth
- Preheat the oven to 300F and season the short ribs all over with salt and pepper.
- In a large dutch oven over medium heat, melt the bacon fat or lard. Once hot, add half the short ribs and brown on all sides. Remove to a plate and brown the remaining short ribs. Transfer to the plate.
- Add the onion and pepper to the pot, sprinkle with salt, and saute until tender, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic, jalapeno, chili powder, cumin, and cayenne, and cook another minute, until fragrant.
- Stir in the roasted tomatoes and bone broth and bring to a simmer. Add the short ribs back into the pot, cover and transfer to the oven.
- Cook 2 to 3 hours, until the meat is very tender. Remove the ribs, shred the meat and return the meat to the pot. Adjust salt and pepper to taste and serve with your favorite chili toppings.