Wow inner guests with this gorgeous slow-roasted prime rib recipe that proves how easy it is to slow-roast a bone-in prime rib to perfection. Garlicky herb butter lends keto-friendly flavor and helps give this centerpiece main course its delicious, crispy crust. Served with homemade horseradish crème on the side, it’s an epic eating event.
Recipe from Keto-Mojo
- Prep: 10 m
- Cook: 1 h 50 m
- Rest: 30 m
- Total: 2 h 30 m
- Servings: 12
- 5 lb rib roast (bone-in, standing) (prime rib)
- 8 tbsp butter softened
- 5 cloves garlic mashed or crushed into a paste
- 1 tbsp Italian herb dried
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 3 tbsp horseradish peeled and freshly grated or prepared
- 1 tbsp lemon juice, fresh
- The day before you plan to prepare the prime rib, place it on a baking sheet and salt all the meat surface with 4 teaspoons of salt, then refrigerate, uncovered, overnight.
- The day of cooking, remove the beef from the refrigerator and bring to room temperature, 2 to 3 hours. Pat the beef dry with a paper towel.
- Preheat oven to 475°F (245°C). Adjust the oven racks so the beef can roast in the middle of the oven.
- In a small bowl, mix together the butter, garlic, and dried herb blend.
- Season with 2 teaspoons salt and 1 teaspoon pepper.
- Slather a layer of about 1/3 of seasoned butter on the underside of the beef (the bone side). Place the beef in a heavy ovenproof skillet or roasting pan, bone side down. Spread another 1/3 of the remaining seasoned butter on the top and sides, reserving the remaining butter for the first baste.
- Roast for 20 minutes. Reduce the oven temperature down to 275°F (135°C), spread the remaining seasoned butter over the top of the beef, then continue roasting, basting every 30 minutes with pan juices, until the internal temperature is 120°F (50°C) for medium-rare, about 90 minutes. (Start checking the internal temperature early in case it cooks more quickly.)
- Transfer the beef to a serving platter, cover loosely with foil, and let it rest for 25 to 30 minutes; the internal temperature will rise to 125°F (52°C).
- Meanwhile, make the horseradish crème: in a medium bowl. Combine the sour cream, horseradish, and lemon juice. Season with 1/2 teaspoon pepper.
- Slice the beef and serve with the horseradish sauce.