This recipe isn’t a typical skillet recipe. Instead of preparing your greens with the other ingredients in a stockpot or large skillet, you use the greens as a taco “shell”. Butter lettuce and Boston lettuce, or other greens like mature curly kale or collard leaves, all work well.
Recipe from Dr. Hyman
- Prep: 10 m
- Cook: 12 m
- Total: 22 m
- Servings: 4
- 2 tbsp ghee
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 tbsp taco seasoning
- 3 cups bell peppers thinly sliced (any colour)
- 3 cups yellow onions thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 8 large lettuce leaves
- 1/2 cup cilantro fresh, chopped
- salsa to taste
- guacamole to taste
- Heat the ghee in a stockpot or large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the ground turkey, taco seasoning, bell peppers, onions, and garlic.
- Cook until turkey is browned and the vegetables are tender, 10 to 12 minutes. (Cooking tip: You don’t need to add water or broth to the fat when you are cooking the meat for this meal.)
- Serve the cilantro on the side or stir it directly into the skillet.
- Divide the taco filling among eight large leaf wraps.
- Add salsa and/or guacamole.
- Roll up or fold and enjoy! Alternatively, serve the filling on a bed of greens as a taco salad.