I modified another recipe on this site for South Beach Diet® Phase 1. Not only is it on my diet, but it tastes delicious! Garnish each serving with sour cream.
Recipe from allrecipes.com
- Prep: 15 m
- Cook: 2 h 5 m
- Total: 2 h 20 m
- Servings: 8
- 2 lb beef stew meat, trimmed and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 cube beef bouillon
- 1 1/3 cups chicken broth hot
- 2 large onions coarsely chopped
- 1 tsp Greek seasoning
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 8 oz cabbage (1 package shredded)
- 5 stalks celery sliced
- 8 oz plum tomatoes whole, coarsely chopped (1 can)
- 8 oz tomato sauce (1 can)
- salt to taste
- Cook and stir beef in a large saucepan or Dutch oven until browned, about 5 minutes; drain excess grease.
- Stir beef bouillon into chicken broth in a bowl until dissolved; add to beef.
- Mix onions, Greek seasoning, black pepper, and bay leaves into broth-beef mixture; cover saucepan and simmer until beef is tender, about 1 hour 15 minutes. Add cabbage and celery to broth-beef mixture; cover saucepan and simmer until celery is tender, about 30 minutes more.
- Stir plum tomatoes, tomato sauce, and salt into broth-beef mixture and simmer, uncovered, until stew is slightly thickened, 15 to 20 minutes. Remove and discard bay leaves before serving.
- Cook's Note: Beef broth can be substituted for the chicken broth.