This recipe is not only delicious, but also very nutritious, especially since it calls for nutrient-rich avocados and a source of safe starch, sweet potatoes. It’s therefore a great recipe to include in a healthy diet that’s rich in micronutrients.
Recipe from Paleo Leap
- Prep: 15 m
- Cook: 25 m
- Total: 40 m
- Servings: 4
- 1 medium sweet potato peeled and cubed
- 2 tbsp cooking fat
- 2 tbsp olive oil extra-virgin
- 1/2 onion sliced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 roast chicken shredded
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes halved
- 2 tbsp cilantro fresh, finely chopped
- 1/2 lime juiced
- 1/2 avocado sliced
- In a medium sauce pan over a medium-high heat, bring some water to a boil and add the cubed sweet potatoes. Cook for about 10 minutes, until the sweet potato is tender. Drain the water and set the sweet potatoes aside for later use.
- In a large sauce pan over a medium-high heat, combine the cooking fat with the olive oil. Once melted, add the onions to sauté. Cook until the onions are translucent, about 7 minutes. Be sure to stir frequently to prevent the onions from burning.
- Add the garlic, cumin as well as salt and pepper to the pot. Mix well and cook for another minute.
- Add the chicken stock to the pan and bring to a simmer. Once simmering, add in the shredded chicken, followed by the tomatoes, lime juice, cooked sweet potatoes and cilantro. Immediately remove from the heat. Allow the soup to sit for at least 5 minutes prior to serving to allow the flavours some time to blend.
- Serve warm topped with the avocado slices.