No need to worry about how to enjoy Sloppy Joes without a bun. The saucy meat goes well served on top of baked sweet potatoes. The fun but messy meat mixture is made on the stove while the potatoes are baking in the oven. Ketchup or tomato sauce can be used for the saucy base, to which a little bit of honey is added for sweetness.
Recipe from Paleo Grubs
- Prep: 10 m
- Cook: 1 h 10 m
- Total: 1 h 20 m
- Servings: 4
- 2 sweet potatoes
- 1 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 2 small carrots finely chopped
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 cups paleo ketchup
- 2 tbsp paleo spicy mustard
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup water
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Poke the sweet potatoes with a fork and place on a baking sheet. Bake for 50 minutes or until soft. Remove from the oven and let cool. Cut in half.
- Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onions with a pinch of salt and sauté for 4-5 minutes, until soft. Stir in the carrots and cook for another 2 minutes. Add the ground beef and cook until browned, stirring regularly.
- Add the ketchup, mustard, honey, vinegar, and water to the pan. Bring to a low simmer, then cover and cook for 12-15 minutes until the liquid is mostly absorbed. Adjust salt and pepper to taste, and add more ketchup or mustard as necessary. Spoon over the sweet potato halves to serve.