From our friends at
- Prep: 45 m
- Cook: 20 m
- Servings: 4
- 1 chicken whole
- 4 tbsp butter melted
- 2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 lemon halved
- 6 cloves garlic whole, skin on
- 1 onion cut into wedges
- sea salt
- black pepper
- Take the chicken out of the fridge 30 minutes before cooking to let it come up to room temperature.
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Pat chicken dry with a paper towel and place it in a large roasting pan. Season the chicken generously all over with sea salt and black pepper.
- Stuff the cavity of the chicken with the lemon halves and garlic cloves. Tie the legs together with kitchen string and tuck the wing tips under the body of the chicken.
- In a bowl, mix melted butter with dried thyme and stir to combine.
- Using the back of a spoon, loosen skin from the chicken breast and drizzle a ½ tablespoon of the butter mixture between the skin and the breast.
- Drizzle the remaining butter mixture all over the chicken and rub it in with your hands to ensure the chicken is well coated.
- Scatter the diced onion around the chicken and transfer the roasting pan to the oven.
- Roast the chicken for approximately 1 hour and 15-20 minutes, until the juices run clear when you cut between a leg and thigh.
- Once cooked, remove chicken from the oven and transfer to a plate or dish to rest for 10 minutes before slicing. Enjoy!