For this recipe, I chose chicken thighs because it is budget-friendly, tender, delicious, and pretty much foolproof. We’re going to skewer them cause any food on a stick instantly translates to fun and festive. Paired with a pepper and tomato flavored cauliflower rice, you will surely impress family and friends for a weekend get together that is tasty, healthy, sugar and gluten-free!
Recipe from ruled.me
- Prep: 15 m
- Cook: 35 m
- Marinate: 1 h
- Total: 1 h 50 m
- Servings: 4
Peri Peri Marinade
- 2 red chilis - medium
- 1 green chili - medium fresh
- 1 tsp garlic - fresh, miced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp oregano dried
- 1 1/2 tsp paprika
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 24 oz chicken thighs boneless, skinless
Pepper and Tomato Cauliflower Rice
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1 orange pepper - medium
- 1 green onion - medium
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp paprika
- 16 oz cauliflower rice
- Using the broil function of your oven (alternatively, you can use the grill), roast the chili peppers until charred. Set aside.
- In a saucepan, add garlic, salt, and spices. Add oil and vinegar. Turn heat on to medium and simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Add chilies to the oil and allow to steep until cool.
- Transfer to a blender or food processor and pulse until pureed and homogenous.
- If using wooden skewers, soak in water for at least one hour. In a ziplock bag, add chicken pieces, then cover with marinade.
- Seal and refrigerate to marinate for at least one hour, a maximum of 24 hours.
- Skewer chicken pieces.
- Grill over coals, basting with marinade leftover in the ziplock bag. Alternately, place a griddle pan in the oven and preheat to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Once the oven is at temperature, set timer for 6 minutes. Take the griddle pan out and cook the chicken on the dry griddle pan until seared on both sides. Transfer the chicken to a baking sheet, return to the oven, and roast for 10-15 minutes or until cooked through. Baste halfway with marinade leftover in the ziplock bag.
- In a skillet over medium heat, melt the butter. Saute bell pepper and white tips of the green onion until aromatic (save the green sections for plating.)
- Add tomato paste and paprika. Swirl to combine and to toast slightly or for about 30 seconds.
- Add cauliflower rice. Mix well. Continue to cook until dry.
- Plate with cauliflower rice on the bottom, chicken on top, and topped with remaining green onion slices.