Portobello mushrooms have a meaty texture that soaks up spices, herbs, and other flavorings like a sponge. It’s no wonder they’re a main course in many vegan and vegetarian restaurants. Mushrooms are a rare vegetable source of vitamin D and also contain high levels of potassium. The cheese and olive oil (the fats) in this recipe help you absorb that all-important vitamin D.
Recipe from Keto Mojo
- Prep: 15 m
- Cook: 6 m
- Total: 21 m
- Servings: 6
- 1/2 cup olive oil extra-virgin
- 1 tsp garlic minced
- 6 large Portobello mushrooms stems removed
- 1 cup tomato sauce (low-carb)
- 2 cups mozzarella shredded
- 2 tbsp basil fresh - chopped, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to broil. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the olive oil and garlic; then add the mushrooms to the bowl. Rub the oil all over the mushrooms and place them gill-side down on the prepared baking sheet.
- Broil the mushrooms until they are tender, turning once, about 4 minutes in total.
- Remove the baking sheet from the oven and evenly divide the tomato sauce among the mushroom caps, spreading it on the gill side. Then top with the mozzarella cheese.
- Broil the mushrooms until the cheese is melted and bubbly, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Serve topped with the basil.