These make for a great and simple lunch, or they can be served along a main meat dish at dinner time. Even though kids are usually not the biggest fan of vegetables such as zucchini, they’ll probably love those zucchini cakes, mainly because of their crunchy texture. The green onions and garlic also bring out an interesting flavor profile to those simple cakes.
Recipe from Paleo Leap
- Prep: 17 m
- Cook: 8 m
- Total: 25 m
- Servings: 4
- 2 medium zucchini
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 green onions finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup almond flour (optional)
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- coconut oil or clarified butter, for cooking
- Begin by using a large-scale grater to grate your zucchini. You want to avoid creating small, thin strands, as the zucchini could get mushy upon frying.
- Once grated, place in a bowl and toss in the salt. Allow the zucchini to sit in the salt for at least 10 minutes. Then, extract any excess water from the zucchini (if you have never done this before, I am sure you will be surprised at how much water there actually is!). The easiest way to do this is to place the grated vegetable in a large piece of cheese cloth and wring it out. I was not so prepared and did not have this available, so I used a colander and pressed the zucchini against the sides with force, making the water drip out. It ended up working out just fine.
- Return the zucchini to a large bowl and combine with the green onions, garlic, egg and baking powder. You could use almond flour, as it really helps in keeping the cakes from crumbling a apart, but you can also do without.
- Once everything has been mixed, form cakes of about 2 to 2.5″ in diameter out of the mixture.
- Place a large skillet over a medium-high heat. You want to allow the skillet to really warm up prior to adding any cooking fat to the pan.
- Add some of your chosen cooking fat to the pan, just enough to coat the surface of the skillet and then place the zucchini cakes in the pan. Allow them to cook for about 3 to 4 minutes on each side, just enough so that they are crispy and golden brown. Enjoy these patties as is, or as a side to a delicious soup.