Overcome Fear of the Unknown
When I decided to embrace a fasting lifestyle I was afraid of it. I had fear of the unknown. I started educating myself. I read a book and began skipping breakfast. I learned early that whatever I did had to be sustainable for the rest of my life. That meant there would be no epic newsworthy fasts in my future. Two weeks later I started skipping lunch two days a week. I read 10 more books on therapeutic fasting including autophagy, the healing power within fasting. Then I did a 36 hour fast and didn’t die. Then a 48 followed in a month by a three day fast. Again I didn’t die. Then I did a 5 day fast 8 months into the lifestyle. That fast more than any other brought my first rapid healing experience. I’ve done many 5-7 day fasts over the years. My fasting education kept me from running in terror to the refrigerator to end my fast over some common trivial side effect. Knowing what to expect was of great benefit.
- Starting weight and date: 260 pounds, January 2017
- Goal weight and date reached: 160 pounds, July 17, 2019
- Maintenance goal: stay between 150 and 170 pounds for the rest of my life
- Current weight as of November 2020 169.
- All my fasting is done zero calorie.
- I no longer need blood pressure medication
- Three other autoimmune diseases arrested
I maintain by still skipping breakfast every day and lunch as well two random days per week.
Simple and sustainable. The most important decision I made was to make hunger my new best friend because my journey wasn’t going anywhere without it.